Sanctuary or Battle Ground
Home should be a place of peace and harmony, a plug to recharge depleted batteries. World’s strife should stay on the doorstep with the door barred. We should be aware and compassionate but learn to let go of situations beyond our control.
Too often we take home the day’s problems, turn on the news and escalate our stress and anxiety. Without realizing it, we take out our frustrations on those we love the most. Our anger flares and we say things that we would never say to a stranger or colleague. An insignificant issue can be the match that starts a raging inferno.
Suggestions for maintaining a happy home:
- Watch news in the morning when rested
- Discuss inappropriate behaviors. Do not resort to name calling.
- Ignore trivial annoying habits and accept them as part of the person
- Say “I love you” often. I read something fifty years ago that the word money is used more in a home than the word love. We can turn that around in our homes.
- Sleep eight hours per night.
- Eat nutritious meals with the family. Lines of communication open around the dinner table.
Peace and harmony are lofty goals in a bustling household with crazy schedules, but worth the effort. We have the power to change. World peace begins at home.