Life is to Live
“Life is short, and it is here to be lived.” Kate Winslet
I saw this quote today and wanted to share it with you. Many of us follow a rigid schedule, without any room for flexibility. My mother used to say that we get up, go to work, eat, sleep and do it all again, until one day we wake up old and wonder where our lives went. Structure provides direction, but too much of it stifles creativity. We function like robots, neglecting to see. Staring at our phones, we miss the beauty that surrounds. Ear buds block our ability to hear the birds. Attached, we do not relate to real people, including our families. “Friends” are on social media. Most we will never meet.
Below are 5 suggestions to start living, not existing.
- Try different routes to work or a different grocery store. Force yourself to think about what you are doing.
- Take an unplugged walk before work. Let your senses fill with sight, scents and sound. Feel the sun and breeze on your face.
- Plan dinners with family or friends sans electronics. Put phones on “Do Not Disturb.” Listen to what others are saying. Express how you feel.
- Take day trips. Get out into nature. Go somewhere you have never been. Listen to various types of music. Expand your mind. Visit museums. Step out of your comfort zone. Try new foods. Do something you have never done.
- Make a list of dreams, things you would like to do but put off because you do not have the time or money. Pick one and make it a goal. If you dream of having a yacht, think about other ways to get onto the water, sooner than later. Perhaps a canoe would fill the bill.
A wise woman told me not to wait to afford the big trips, but to build memories with mini adventures. Life is a collection of snapshots. Create moments to remember. Be present and enjoy!
Posted on July 27, 2022, in creative writing, family, inspirational, inspirational, new age, spiritual,, soul, spirit, spiritual, writing and tagged family, friends, happy, Health, life, live, Mental health, nature. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.